Thursday, August 18, 2016

Reading Options

For week 2, I've decided to read the Classical Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche. There's nothing I love more than a good fairy tale or love story, and this seems like something I will really enjoy. I like Classical stories more than Biblical, but I can see myself reading a Biblical one as well out of curiosity.


I am interested in this unit because I love nursery rhymes, or rhymes in general. I love the way they sound, but I also love that most of them have a history behind them that you wouldn't have guessed; and some can be quite sinister.

I love Disney fairy tales, but that doesn't mean that I don't also love the original not so kid friendly original versions of the stories. They keep my attention and I actually really enjoy reading stories like these, and I also have an interest in Europe's stories in general. 

This is definitely not something I'm familiar with, but it's something new that I would probably like. I really like creepy or scary stuff, so that's what got me to choose this. I don't normally read about goblins, so it's something different but also interesting. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you will like Cupid and Psyche: it is like a fairy tale, but it also has the gods and goddesses of Olympus in there too!

    And about Twenty-Two Goblins, that is an incredibly cool book. It is not really about goblins exactly: instead, it is about a weird Indian creature called a vetala (sometimes translated as goblin, sometimes as vampire), who poses riddles to a king. It's one of my favorite books on the list, and if you like ghosts and the supernatural, it's a great way to learn about the vetala tradition of India. The modern Hindi word is baital; you can find out more here it you are curious: Wikipedia: Baital Pachisi :-)

    ReplyDelete