Saturday, September 3, 2016

Famous Last Words: Exploring Writing Style

With this class, writing stories is something new to me. I have always been good at writing essays or research papers, but writing a story is something very different that requires much more creativity. This week, reading other peoples stories really helped me to figure out what I can do with my own writing style. I think I was a bit nervous about how much to really change the story or the characters. I wanted to keep the basics of the story with just one big plot twist or something like that. I found that while reading my classmates work, however, I may have been a bit too shy. Many people completely changed the story to where only the characters names and relationships were the same but almost everything else was different, for example making a tragic or sad story into a hilarious one with a completely different setting. Now I know what I can do, and I'm hoping each week I will go more and more out of my comfort zone and really write some creative stuff.

I think that stepping out of this comfort zone will also make the class a lot easier for me. Instead of constantly thinking about how to write the story that won't stray too far from the original, I can just sit down and write whatever I want to and make the story completely my own. I know that I do need to make it relate somewhat, but knowing that I can change more than just one plot detail or one character is going to really help me with writer's block and other things that are holding me back. I was also surprised to see how easy it was to meet the 500 word minimum, and I found myself writing a couple hundred words over that. I think overall I am going to really enjoy how this class improves my writing.

colorful, colors, colourful

No comments:

Post a Comment