Monday, September 26, 2016

Reading Notes Part A: The Monkey King

The first thing that came to mind as I began this story was Planet of the Apes.  I can just see how this could go in this direction, with an intelligent ape hatching from an egg and then collecting all the other apes and monkeys in the world to take over the humans. That would be something different to do and a new direction to take the story, with a combination with Planet of the Apes.

I feel like I would want to do another combo story here like I did with the Wizard of Oz and Ramayana, but that story also had to do with monkeys. I'm not sure why I keep choosing monkey/ape stories but I still think a combo would be cool to do with this story.

Another thing I think of here is the story of evolution. The ape tries to blend like a human and even gets his name. I can see how this story could be tied in to evolution although I'm not sure how to do that yet. It might be an interesting idea, though.


Again, as I see that the monkey king is traveling and fighting demons to get there weapons, I think of Planet of the Apes. It just seems obvious that this could be made into a story where monkeys take over the world. I think that might be the direction I head in as I think about what I want to do for my retelling of this story,

The Monkey King from Wihelm's Chinese Fairy Book

No comments:

Post a Comment