Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Learning Challenge: Reading While Watching and Listening

I decided to choose this reading and watching/listening challenge to do because I have some experience with it already that I thought was interesting. I have a friend who always puts subtitles on when he watches TV or movies, and I always thought it was so annoying. I just thought the subtitles got in the way of the show and also distracted me. One interesting thing about subtitles is that they sometimes appear on the screen before the actual words of the character or narrator are said, which can sometimes ruin punchlines or surprises in the show or movie. That being said, after spending a lot of time with him I started to enjoy the subtitles and I started missing them when they weren't there. They made it easier for me to understand what was going on in the show without having to strain to listen, and I found that I could easily listen, read and watch at the same time. Now that I think about it, that is some serious multitasking! I think I'd have to choose watching a movie or TV over reading a book because I feel that watching something is something you can enjoy with another person, while reading is more of a solo task. I do enjoy reading though.

Image result for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment