Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Reading Notes Part A: American Indian Fairy Tales

As with the part B reading, I notice here that they give emotions and personifications to seasons. How fun would it be to write a story where summer and winter interact? It gives a meaning behind why there are seasons and why they change. I could take that idea and write a whole new story from it, just taking the idea of seasons having emotions and being real entities. I enjoy this idea a lot.

I could even tie in some ideas from the readings in part B to the readings here. For example, maybe someone curses at summer for being so hot, and then summer goes away leaving only the freezing cold. Now people learn to appreciate summer and the warmth that it brings. I could write a story about how life would be without summer, or winter, any season really.

I also really like the idea of the storyteller here. He basically tells the children different stories that show why something is the way it is. For example, he tells a story called The Boy and Girl in the Clouds where he explains why a certain tall hill exists. Using this idea, I could choose some kind of landmark we know well here in Oklahoma or even in America, and explain with a neat fictional story why it exists or how it got there. That would be very fun and I would have a lot of freedom to write my own story while still taking ideas that I got from these stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment