Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Story: Why the Cat Hates the Dog

A long time ago, before dogs and cats were enemies, they were great friends. The dog and the cat did everything together and helped each other in one another's time of need. They had no reason to hate each other, for they were both loved by their masters and they both helped each other hunt. When the dog would catch a bigger meal, he would share with the cat. When the cat would catch many mice, he would share his treats with the dog. They were the best of friends.

One day, the cat decided to go hunting for a mouse. He found many mice, but the dog was not satisfied.

"Thank you for the mice," the dog said. "But I am feeling very hungry today and the master hasn't let me out to hunt.. is there any way you can catch something bigger?"

The cat was not as big as the dog, but he was still a good hunter. He had sharp claws and teeth and was able to climb to tall places that the dog could not reach.

"Hmmm.. Okay, I will find something bigger for you. Don't worry." the cat replied.

It was then that the cat began to look around the house. He was an inside hunter, and he had cleaned the house of all the mice so there were none left. Suddenly, he noticed high on a shelf there was a big fish. It was much larger than a mouse and was just sitting there in a bowl ready to be hunted. So he jumped up, and grabbed the fish with his claws. He felt very victorious and took the fish back to the dog. The dog was incredibly happy and ate the whole fish very quickly.

"I'm very full now. Thank you cat." he said.

The next day, the cat heard a shout from his master. "WHAT HAS THAT CAT DONE!?"

The cat was very confused. The master came up, grabbed the cat and threw him out into the cold. "How dare you kill my fish! I was going to give that as a gift to me nephew! I paid a lot of money for that! You are a stupid cat, my smart dog knows not to kill my pet fish!"

The cat was very angry. He had been thrown out all because the dog wasn't satisfied with the mice. From that day on, cats no longer listened to humans and insisted that humans treat them with the utmost respect. They also hated dogs and would scratch and hurt them, and eventually dogs learned to hunt the cat. This is why the dog and the cat are enemies and why the cat does not take orders from humans.


Author's note: I retold the story Why the Dog and the Cat Are Enemies from the Chinese Fairy Book by Wilhelm. In the original story. the dog comes up with an idea on how to get a ring back to the owner but needs the cats help. They work together, but the cat is the one able to climb and get the ring to the owner, so the cat is praised and the dog is beaten for not returning the ring. In my story, I wanted to just retell why they are enemies in my own way, and I also wanted to add why cats don't do tricks or listen to humans like dogs do.

5 comments:

  1. Toni,

    This story was a great explanation for why cats are they way that they are. I myself am a dog person, mostly for the fact that I am highly allergic to cats, but also because I think dogs are very loyal, loving pets. I can definitely agree with the cat that if I was blamed for something I did to help someone else, and they didn't defend me, I would be just as spiteful and hold a huge grudge. I feel like this was a story you could have drug out a little more. Maybe have the cat confront the dog and try to get him to let the owner know it was actually his fault that the cat killed the fish. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you changed your story from the original. I actually used the story as one of my reading note blogs. It is funny that the cat hated the dog for something the cat did. The dog asked for a bigger catch but did not tell the cat to go kill the fish. I think there is a moral lesson that can be learned from this story. You could actually add the moral lesson at the end of your story. Overall, I thought you did a nice job of staying true to the style of the original story but you also made it your own. nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your story! I actually own a cat and dog and they are the best of friends. My cat however does insist I treat her very well, so I like that you made an explanation for cat's personalities. I do find it strange that the cat hates the dog for something she did herself, but sadly blame is often misplaced and this does a great job of teaching that moral. Excellent story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you changed the story around and made the cat the one that was blamed for. It really explains why cats acts the way they do. My friend has a cat and he is really sweet and likes to cuddle but there are some that just don’t want to be touched at all. I think you did a great job at taking this story and making it your own, but also still explaining why cats and dogs don’t get along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toni, I really enjoyed your version of this story! Although I have not read the original before, I liked how I could see parts of it intertwined in yours. My cat is so sweet and loves to cuddle, and be loved. But some definitely do not. This story was really well done and I can't wait to read more by you!

    ReplyDelete